From the President
For almost two decades, the Center for Urban Biblical Ministry (CUBM) has partnered with Geneva College to provide an education specifically suited for students heeding Christ’s call to proclaim and live the Gospel in their communities.
We have a rich history of working together, and it is a pleasure to welcome CUBM students as members of Geneva’s student population. While the college campus is geographically separate from the heart of Pittsburgh and CUBM headquarters, our respective organizational aims connect us closely.
What are those aims? Both Geneva and CUBM begin with a vision to equip students to further Christ’s kingdom and transform society for the glory of God. And whether it’s our traditional undergraduate students or their fellow scholars at a sister program such as CUBM, students frequently express satisfaction with our excellent faculty made up of Christ-centered instructors. Indeed, CUBM and Geneva have been blessed with capable educators poised to help make the vision a reality.
The information contained in this catalog will give you a clear sense of the convenient, affordable and effective instruction available through the CUBM programs. Executive Director Karla Byrd and the CUBM board members and staff are prepared to offer assistance as you consider a course of study that will prepare you for ministry in this city and beyond.
In His service,
Dr. Calvin L. Troup, President
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Center for Urban Biblical Ministry (CUBM) is to glorify God by educating urban students in southwestern Pennsylvania for effective service in their local communities. CUBM provides accredited Bible-based degree programs granted by Geneva College and other learning experiences in a Christian community where deep relationships with others of diverse backgrounds are encouraged, equipping students to further the kingdom of Christ and transform society for the glory of God.
Our Statement of Faith
- the Bible is the inspired, only infallible, authoritative word of God
- there is one God, eternally existent in three person, Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- in the deity of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, sinless life, atoning death, resurrection, ascension to the right hand of the Father and future return in power and glory
- for salvation of the lost and sinful, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential
- in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is able to live a godly life
- in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the
- in the spiritual unity of believers in Jesus Christ
The CUBM Experience
Students of the Center for Urban Biblical Ministry (CUBM) may earn Geneva College associate of arts degrees in Christian ministry, business administration and human services. The programs are designed for busy urban church leaders, future leaders, and persons who have little or no previous college experience. The degrees can be earned in as little as two and one-half years (5 semesters) of full-time study. Part-time study options are also available. Upon completion, the student is eligible to earn a bachelor degree through Geneva College’s degree completion program or other more traditional programs at Geneva. CUBM seeks to promote urban transformation by developing students who know how to serve their communities. With this in mind, the CUBM program is uniquely designed to:
- Equip urban Christian leaders in western Pennsylvania for the challenges of modern urban ministry and work.
- Promote Biblical teaching about ministry and business that influences lives and communities
- Help church leaders train members to use their gifts to serve the Lord in the urban community.
- Assist the church to develop urban communities that are economically and spiritually strong.
- Address the needs of urban families and the crises they face.
- Encourage all students to pursue excellence in life, service, work, and ministry.
The CUBM program is distinctive because of its focus on:
- Ministry in an urban setting
- A liberal arts curriculum taught from a Christian perspective
- Convenient class schedules for busy students – evenings and Saturdays
- A curriculum designed to help students integrate faith and learning
- Reduced tuition costs and financial aid